Wednesday, September 7, 2011

About Me

My name is Grace Henning. My middle name is Carolyn, after my great aunt. I am 15 years old. I was born on November 30th, 1995. I was born in Grosse Pointe, and have never moved. I am the youngest of three girls. My older sister Molly is 6.5 years older, and my sister Allie is 4 years older. Molly just graduated college, and moved back home :(. Allie goes to school in Ohio, and is studying to be a teacher. Both of my parents are law professors, and met while they were working for judges in Delaware.
The main thing I do with my time is swim. I have been a competitive swimmer since I was 7 years old, and it basically takes over my life sometimes. When I am swimming during the high school season, we have practice starting in August, 3 weeks before school starts for 2.5 hours in the morning 6 days a week, and 2 more hours in the afternoon 3 days a week. Usually when people ask me what my hobbies are I say swimming, even though I don't enjoy it that much, it is all I have time for. During the regular USA Swimming season, I swim 3/4 days a week for 2 hours. Last winter and spring, I took time off because during the high school season, I tore ligaments in my foot. I tore them by tripping in a hole while running, and I had to take 5 weeks off of swimming, which hurt my ability and times.
Besides swimming, when I was younger, I was a dancer, I played basketball, and softball. I was a dancer for 5 years, but I wasn't very good at it. Despite my name, I am not a very graceful person. I played basketball from kindergarten to grade 6. I had to stop playing, I hit my growth spurt when I was in grade 3(I'm still hoping for another one though) and by the time grade 6 came around, everyone was just growing, and I was pretty much finished, so I couldn't play defense. Softball ended because my parents did not want me playing fast pitch. They thought that I was not old enough, and that I should focus on swimming, which is what I ended up doing.
Like I said before, I am not the most graceful person. I have had 2 broken growth plates, 2 incidents of torn ligaments, and 1 fractured bone. Only once was one of those the result of not falling, I fractured my right wrist at a swim meet while playing mercy, and still swam, that was in grade 3. Though, that was not my first encounter with an injury. I broke the growth plate in my right ankle when I was in grade 1. I broke it in California, visiting my family out there, I still blame my cousin, he was the one who suggested we play tag in the dark, and I tripped. I broke my right wrist again (thank goodness I'm a lefty) in grade 5. That time, I fell off a sled. Then in grade 6, I was at my acting teams big acting global competition, and while walking out of the dining hall, I skipped a step, and tore a ligament in my left ankle, that was too bad, but I still performed. Then lastly, I tripped in a hole during dry land swim practice last year, 4 days before school started(heck of a way to start my freshman year). I think tripping in the hole last year was the most embarrassing, because it was in front of the entire swim team.
Growing up in Grosse Pointe was never that interesting, but with all of my activities I was rarely bored growing up. And I'm sure I kept everyone entertained with my array of brightly colored casts.

No comments:

Post a Comment