Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sinner Follow Up Post

After reading the sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" I was quite surprised. I think others would be surprised as well. I was surprised at how vivid and scary it was. The scariness was not what I was expecting. I knew people were scared when this was first read(and they heard it out loud, I just read it in a book), but I did not think I would be scared, because it is a much different time now. I think that others would be scared now too, because of the vividness. "The bow of God's wrath is bent, and the arrow made ready on the string." (Page 98) is an example of how this sermon could instill fear in people even today. Edwards was basically saying that we as people could do nothing to prevent God from killing us, and that we were all just sinners. The fear that Edwards put into people back then was much greater, but I think people would still be quite scared if they read the sermon now.

No comments:

Post a Comment